Kids and Technology
Before you buy that great piece of technology that your kids have been begging you for, consider the advice that needs to come with it.
Is your child the appropriate age for the game you are buying and can he or she mentally discern the content of the game they are being presented with?(i.e., blood and gore, sexual content, violence)
- For small children are parental settings on to block unwanted websites from popping up?
- Is the computer located in a space where you can see what is being viewed by your child?
- Are there certain times of the day or night when the child will be allowed computer time?
- Many of the popular games on the computer allow your child to play with others and some allow chatting. Consider what settings you will allow. Most ask for parental information before proceeding.
- You have a lot of power when it comes to your child’s cellphone. Consider tracking the phone as a safety measure for your child.
- For small children there are phones that will restrict calls. You decide who they will be allowed to contact.
- Teach responsibility when it comes to that camera. One wrong click can change your son or daughter’s lives.
- You bought and you probably pay for it. Don’t be afraid to check it every once in a while to make sure your child is following the rules you set.
Don’t take it for granted that they know their limitations because many times they don’t know. There is always a friend that could introduce them to something that they never even considered until someone that is not you shows or tells them how to access the information. Be the first to educate your children on the responsible way to use technology.