ARE YOU AN AGELESS EMPLOYEE?
By Desnee E. Young
Contrary to what we are programmed to believe, age is not a defining factor in how one performs in the workplace. Poor performance may be linked to factors that are health related, but health issues affect both young and older employees at any time. Workplace policy has been set in place and education on age discrimination is a part of most corporate Human Resource orientations. But what is an “Ageless Employee” and what steps can you take to insure that your company looks at you as an asset no matter what age you are?
What is an Ageless Employee?
The definition is really quite simple. An Ageless Employee is one that continually endeavors to provide valuable input and selfless effort to insure the growth and success of the organization that employs them.
Are you an Ageless Employee?
If you are not sure here is a short survey that can help you determine if you rank as an Ageless Employee.
- Do you think of and present new ideas and strategies to grow your organization?
- Do you come to work on time each day unless an unexpected situation arises?
- Do you assist others in the workplace?
- Do your co-workers come to you for advice or guidance on work issues?
- Do you keep abreast of organizational changes?
- Do you step outside the boundaries of your assigned responsibilities?
- Do you volunteer for new projects?
- Are your certifications current and have you taken classes to keep you ahead and/or insure your career growth?
Remember an ageless employee is one that grows with the organization. Ask yourself the question – Why was I employed here over everyone else? Then ask yourself if your company still sees you as that enthusiastic, viable employee they hired? If you can’t answer this with an emphatic YES, then you’ve got work to do.